This is not an mp3 blog

It's stuff we like, if you don't too bad.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

...But that's my niche.

No gay rappers?

Bay Area Mixtape (side B).

1. Why Ya Want to Get Funkee - Del tha Funkee Homosapien. Some tracks start to play, and kind-of fuck around a little bit, and you keep wondering when it's going to start getting good. Not this one. This track is no-nonsense good times.
2. Northern Califoolya - E-40. I play like I'm not into E-40, but that is a blatant lie.
3. Make Your Move - Hieroglyphics ft. Goaple. For about a year after I got into this track, I put it on every mix I made. It was a good track to put in the middle of all of the hard shit to calm things down for just a damn minute.
4. Cusswords - Too $hort. What is a mixtape without Too $hort? I'll tell you what it is. Trash.
5. Family and Friends - Pep Love ft. Goaple. I've been searching for this track for a couple of years now. It was on a Heiro mix that they put out a few years ago, but I haven't had much luck finding it locally. Help a brother out?
6. Pray - MC Hammer. Hmm. You can't really start talking about Oakland in general without throwing Hammer in the mix. Even at the height of his popularity, I don't think anyone was taking the guy seriously, even though he claimed to be 2-legit. Okay, Hammer. Keep on it, man.
7. Me-O-Mi-O - Casual. I was so into this track when I was 14 that the Fear Itself cassette stopped playing properly.
8. Sex Packets - Digital Underground. Just like any 2-Live Crew album when I was young, Sex Packets made me feel funny in the 'tingly, need to be by myself for a few minutes' way.
9. Make Way - Souls of Mischief. This track is off of Souls of Mischief's barely-recognized 3rd album, Focus (which is a pretty amazing album in general, I promise).
10. Super Hyphy - Keak Da Sneak. Keak, a common collaborator with E-40 and Too $hort, began the 'hyphy movement' in 2000 as a means to bring attention to the harder side of Oakland's hip hop scene. Similar to crunk-style, hyphy beats are dirty as hell, and this song showcases the whole deal nicely.

(I know I went kinda heavy on the Hieroglyphics-affiliated stuff, but seriously... Do you blame me?)

~sarah p.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home